During the Easter holidays we were supposed to be staying at The Olde House in Cornwall, but our car broke down just 40 minutes from our final destination and we never made it.
The Olde House is a collection of 30 self-catering holiday cottages (3- to 5-star) on a 550-acre working farm near the north coast in Cornwall. It is a family run business that recently won Gold at the South West Tourism Awards and is just a stone’s throw from the fishing villages of Padstow and Port Isaac.
Situated in the pretty village of Chapel Amble, their family cottages are surrounded by luscious countryside, perfect for family breaks. Sandy beaches like Polzeath, Rock and Daymer Bay are just a short drive away for the full Cornish coastal experience and what’s more is that the farm cottages are dog-friendly too, so four-legged friends are more than welcome to join in with the fun.
The Olde House offers free activities for all the family during school holidays, and they also have plenty of ideas for things to do in the area which is somewhere we visit often. Some of the things you can see or do are:
- See lambs being born twice a year (winter and spring) and help feed lambs, pygmy goats and pigs in Pets Corner
- Learn about falconry during school holidays with an expert who visits giving weekly lessons.
- Take the farm trail and watch birds on wetlands from the purpose-built bird hide.
- Lots of other activities during Easter and other school holidays – woodland den building, archery, pond dipping etc
- Nearby are north coast walks at Polzeath, Rock and Padstow.
- The local pub, The Maltster’s Arms, is next door in the pretty village of Chapel Amble.
The Olde House is just an 8 minute drive from the popular beach of Polzeath which is considered one of the best surfing beaches in Cornwall, especially for beginners, home to their Surf Club. It’s manned by lifeguards in the summer months and is also Blue Flag rated which means it’s particularly clean and nice.
If you fancy venturing further afield we are big fans of Eden Project as there is so much to see and do for all ages. If you are an adrenalin junkie you can fly over the top on a zip wire!
St Michael’s Mount is also a spectacular sight and well worth a visit. It is also close to Lands End which has lots of activities for the children to get involved with.
I am sorry I didn’t get to stay with the Olde House, but hopefully we will get back the soon.
Picture Credit: The Olde House and Shutterstock.