The weather is changing quickly, the nights are getting longer and the roads more slippery thanks to falling leaves and rain, but is your car ready for the change?
Our car maintenance is always scheduled for the month of October to ensure that our cars are ready for the inclement weather we experience at this time of year.
Sadly one of the cars failed its MOT, needing two new tyres and a new brake cable, but at least I know it has been fixed and will take his through winter with no problems.
Many auto centres offer free car health checks, however if you are confident to do them yourself, you can get quality spare parts for cars easily online at www.Bestpartstore.co.uk
Winter Car Health Checklist
- Lights: With darker mornings and evenings, check your headlights, brakelights, indicators and fog lights are all in good working order.
- Windscreen Wipers: Check your wiper blades work well, are not perished and remove any leaves that have got trapped under them.
- Windscreen Wash: Check your windscreen wash is topped up with a good quality wash which will repel rain, sleet and snow to help provide better visibility and safer driving conditions
- Tyres: ensure they are not starting to perish and they are set to the correct pressure. To check the tread, use the 20p test to check they are safe – simply place a 20p coin into the main tread grooves of your tyre. If the outer band of the 20p coin is obscured when it is inserted, then your tread is above the legal limit.
- Battery Level: It’s important to test your battery and electrical system regularly as there is nothing worse than finding out your battery is dead. Most car garages will offer a battery level check as part of the service
- Fluid levels: engine oil, brake fluid and radiator coolant
- Test your brakes: Make sure they’re up-to-scratch for slippery conditions
- Antifreeze: Check your antifreeze and stock up on de-icer ready for the frosty mornings ahead
The best way to find free car health checks near you is to google it, but places that offer it includes most car part chains including Halfords, National Auto Centre, Kwik Fit and ATS. Don’t forget you can also get quality spare parts for cars including Mercedes easily online at Bestpartstore.co.uk.
How do you prepare your car for winter?